Friday, August 9, 2013

MMPR // 1.9 "For Whom the Bell Trolls" [review]

            Though it takes us nine whole episodes into this series, we finally begin to gain a little bit more back story perspective on the motivations of the main villain, Rita Repulsa.

            In what can only be described as my worst nightmare (I kid you not), Trini has a special troll doll that she loves more than any of her other toys, blah blah blah, and Rita brings it to life and the Power Rangers must face it in battle.   I’ll get more into that in a moment, but first… the big reveal.

            Rita Repulsa admits that when she was young, she wasn’t allowed to play with dolls but instead had to learn spell and how to be evil while growing up.   This basically amounts to her feeling if she couldn’t have a childhood then neither should anyone else, so let their toys destroy them.

            I can’t help but wonder though why Rita had to learn how to be evil growing up.  Couldn’t she have used her spells for good?   To quote one of my favorite stories of all time: “Are you a good witch or a bad witch?”

            Other than that little piece of info, this show can basically be slept through, as it plays out much like you’d expect.  It just really makes you think about the possibility of your toys coming to life and fighting against you.   Granted, they wouldn’t be toy sized anymore but rather a more realistic size so as to seem like a viable threat to you, so just imagine who in your toy collection would be the worst to face.


            For me, I have a lot of kaiju I wouldn’t stand a chance against, but that’s not too threatening to me because I believe to some extent that we’ll all end in a kaiju apocalypse anyway (Japan seems to be almost there, just a few more technological advances and Godzilla can be born)   So I guess the worst bad guy I’d want to face the least would have to be Mum-Ra because old people are creepy enough as it is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment